Sunday, March 20, 2011

Couch to 5K: 1.3

Date: March 20, 2011
Weight: I'll tell you tomorrow.
Weather: chilly
Program: Alternate walking 90-seconds with jogging 60-seconds for 20 minutes, with five minute warm-up and cool down walk.

My final day of week one, and I must say it was very empowering. Coincidentally, Britney Spear's "Stronger" was the first song on my playlist for my wog today, and it gave me an extra boost of energy. I was a little concerned I would struggle, as I consumed a few adult beverages last night and was not properly hydrated.

However, I wogged my way to the finish - tackling a few slight inclines, pushing my legs to go a little bit faster. My new Nike LunarGlides+ are well broken in now and are deliciously versatile for both running and walking. I have a balanced stance, and I don't over-pronate. The LunarGlides+ are cute, comfortable and great for a girl that isn't covering massive amounts of distance. I don't know tennis shoes on a technical level, however I can tell you with certainty that these are attractive shoes.

I would like to note, that I come from a tight family. We grew up skiing together on Saturdays, arguing over who got to play with the Ninja Turtle action figures and supporting each other through sports. We are not, by any means, a family of runners. (This does not count my aunts and uncles by marriage, they are miraculously avid runners.) However, within the past week I have not only received multiple phone calls to congratulate my decision to run a 5k, but I have also gained the interest of my female family members. My cousin downloaded the Couch to 5K app within minutes of reading my blog, and my aunt (who is dedicated to calling me until I call her back, which I appreciate as I generally act like a chicken with her head cut off - though I don't look it) volunteered to run a 5k with me and send me info on a running group. I can't tell you how amazing it is to have your family stand behind you, and to know that something so small as 3.1 miles and 20 minutes of my life touches them is even better.




I am looking forward to starting week two on Tuesday, and feel like I am sticking with the program. I have listed my upcoming runs on my calendar (which syncs to my iPhone) and this helps keep me dedicated and on track. Many weekend trips and events are coming up (skiing, Texas, birthday!) which require me to plan out my wogging schedule in advance - I don't want it to get swallowed up by my busy schedule. I might even pack my LunarLites for a Texas wog. Gotta stick with it! I am 1/9th of the way there...

PS: I will start tracking my weight, however my body gets all wack-tastic during "that" time of the month, and I felt that a 7 lbs. fluctuation is not truly reflective of the changes I hope to see. Will weight soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can design your own Nike LunarGlides+? Damn you I have just spent way too much time designing the perfect colors. The possibilitys are endless.
    ps yay for running!

    ReplyDelete